- Creating a more secure wireless network password
Setting up the router's wireless security is one way of preventing unauthorized access to your network. It is highly recommended to always set strong passwords to keep your network and connected devices secure.
Listed below are some helpful tips on how to set a strong password for your wireless network.
- Use the WPA/WPA2 security setting. It is strongly recommended to use the WPA2 security whenever possible and only use WEP when there is no other choice. WEP is less secure yet more compatible with older devices than WPA/WPA2. For more information on WPA security, click here.
- Make your password longer. For WPA/WPA2 security setting, the minimum is eight (8) characters and the maximum is 63.
- Use a mix of random words in no particular order. Avoid using your name, family member's names, birthdates or other information that are easy to guess. Include numbers and special characters in your password as well as letters.
- Use a mix of upper and lower case characters at random.
- Don't write your password down anywhere accessible to people that you don't know.
- Change your password periodically.
Router Passwords Frequently Asked Questions
Setting up WPA or WPA2 security on the Belkin wireless router (VIDEO)
Setting up a secure network using Wireless Protected Setup (VIDEO)
Was this support article useful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Please tell us how we can make this article useful.
Additional Support Questions?Search Again
RMA WEB FORMSome of our products can be replaced by completing our online RMA form.
PLEASE CLICK HERE If your product is not listed, please choose another support option.
LIVE CHATA customer advocate will answer your questions. START LIVE CHAT
A customer advocate will answer your questions.
For Phone Docks, Screen protectors, Chargers and CablesTechnical Support Agent Unavailable
Belkin Networking Technical Support
Wireless Routers and Wireless AdaptersNetworking Technical Support Agent Unavailable
For WEMO Support, please contact 1 844 745 WEMO
PHONEHave questions about your Belkin product? Contact our support team. CALL US