Below are some basic essentials to keep in mind when updating the firmware:
- Make sure that the Wemo device is powered ON.
- Your mobile device must be connected to the same Wi-Fi as your Wemo.
- Download and install the latest version of the Wemo App from the App Store® for iOS devices and Google Play™ for Android™ devices.
- Have your Wemo Account credentials ready.
- Create a Wemo Account if you don't have one yet; for instructions, click here.
- The Wemo App images in this article may vary based on the operating system of your mobile device.
Not prompted to do a firmware update
Prompted to update but Wemo won't update
Not all Wemo devices are updated
Other troubleshooting tips
Step 2: Tap on More for iOS devices or on the gear icon for Android devices.
The Wemo App will download the firmware first, and it will only start the upgrade once the file is complete. If you notice that the Wemo won't update or if it is taking time to update, try to position the Wemo close to the router and close activities that require heavy bandwidth usage such as video streaming to ensure a stable Wi-Fi.
Another possible reason for the firmware to not upgrade is if the Wemo Firmware Server is busy or down; in this case, just try to update the firmware at a later time.
Step 1: Close the Wemo App completely; and make sure that it's not running in the background. To learn more, click here.
Step 2: Unplug the upgraded Wemo device.
Step 3: Open the Wemo App again and log in to your Wemo Account. For instructions, click here.
Step 4: A pop-up message will notify you if a firmware update is available; tap on Yes to proceed.
However, if you missed the pop-up, you can tap on More for iOS devices or on the gear icon for Android devices; then tap on Firmware Update to proceed with the upgrade.
If your issue isn't mentioned above, you may try the following tips:
- If there is a new firmware but the Wemo won't update, you can uninstall and reinstall the Wemo App while your mobile device is on the same Wi-Fi as your Wemo.
- Force close the Wemo App, then clear its cache and data on your mobile device's Settings. You can also uninstall and reinstall the Wemo App then reboot your mobile device. Rules will be retained when you reconnect the Wemo App to the same Wi-Fi as the Wemo device.
- Powercycle your devices starting with your Wi-Fi router then the affected Wemo device.
- For iOS devices, try to update your Wemo device's firmware using a device with the latest iOS version.
Wemo Accounts Frequently Asked Questions