One of the major selling points of the Wemo
® line of products is the ability to control them wherever you are in the world. But did you know that you can also set them to work autonomously? Rules are a set of instructions that you can easily give to your Wemo devices to function on their own.
The Long Press rule allows a Wemo device to control another Wemo device or a set of Wemo devices just by pressing the power button for 2 seconds.
When the light indicator of your Wemo Light Switch blinks rapidly three times, it indicates that this rule has been activated.
Before creating a Long Press rule, make sure to do the following first:
- Your Wemo device is properly installed and working.
- You have the latest Wemo app from the Google Play™ store for Android™ or the App Store® for iOS, and linked correctly to your Wemo device.
What devices are compatible with this rule?
The Long Press rule can be set to control the following Wemo devices:
- Wemo Wi-Fi Smart Dimmer, F7C059
- Wemo Wi-Fi Smart Light Switch, F7C030
- Wemo WiFi Smart Light Switch, WLS040
- Wemo WiFi Smart 3-Way Light Switch, WLS0403
- Wemo Smart WiFi Dimmer, WDS060
So where do I start?
Step 1: Open your Wemo app and tap on Rules to bring up your rules list.
If you have created Rules before, you will see them listed here as either enabled or disabled. You will need to tap on the plus sign at the top-right side.
Step 2: Tap on Long Press to open the rule creation screen.
Step 3: The first part of creating a Long Press rule is to choose the triggering Wemo device of this rule.
Step 4: The Long Press rule, when triggered, causes an action to happen on another Wemo device. You will need to choose what action you want to happen when you trigger this rule. Under the Do this section, you will see your choices:
- Turn On: To turn the Wemo device ON.
- Turn Off: To turn the Wemo device OFF.
- Turn On/Off: Toggles the state of the device you want to control. This means if it is ON, it will turn it OFF or the other way around.
- Put in Away Mode: To enable Away Mode rule.
NOTE: You can only choose one action to happen when you trigger this rule.
Step 5: Once you choose the action to perform, you can now choose the Wemo devices that you want this rule to control. You can select a single Wemo device or multiple Wemo devices.
Step 6: Once you have chosen the Wemo devices for this rule, tap SAVE.
Why can’t I give my Long Press rule a custom name?
A Long Press rule can control multiple Wemo devices at the same time. Unlike other rules though, a Wemo device can belong to only one Long Press rule at a time. Long Press rules do not have a specific time they are available to run and are active all day.
Your rule will be given a default name when created based on the Wemo device that triggers the rule and will immediately go active.
Additional Support Questions?