- How to link your Wemo® devices to your Alexa™
Amazon Alexa™ allows you to quickly and easily control your Wemo® devices just by using your voice.
There are a few basic requirements that need to be met before you can use Alexa with your Wemo devices:
- An Amazon Echo™
- The Alexa App
- The Wemo App
- At least one of the following supported Wemo devices:
- Wemo® Switch Smart Plug, F7C027
- Wemo® Insight Smart Plug, F7C029
- Wemo® Wi-Fi Smart Light Switch, F7C030
- Wemo® Mini Smart Plug, F7C063
- Wemo® Wi-Fi Smart Dimmer, F7C059 (requires Wemo Skill to be enabled)
Linking Wemo to the Alexa App
The linking process is easy as long as you have remote access working for your Wemo devices and your Amazon Echo is set up and working properly. Linking your Wemo to Alexa consists of two parts:
1. Pre-link procedures
Step 1: Before linking your accounts, you will need to have at least one Wemo device set up on your Wi-Fi and working on remote access.
Step 2: Next, you will need to set up your Amazon Echo and ensure it is working. Click here for setup instructions (the link will take you to the Amazon website).
Skills are new voice-driven capabilities that enhance the functionality of your Alexa device. For example, you can enable Skills that allow your device to tell you about upcoming concerts in your city. You will need to add the Wemo Skill to your Alexa App to control your Wemo devices.
Step 1: Open your Alexa App and tap the menu button at the upper left corner.
Step 2: Tap on Smart Home.
Step 3: Tap Smart Home Skills and check the list for Wemo.
IMPORTANT: If Wemo is not on the list, then you do not have capabilities to tell Alexa to turn ON or OFF selected Wemo devices. Proceed with the steps below to enable Wemo Skill.
Step 4: Locate and tap on the ENABLE SKILLS button.
Step 5: On the page that opens, enter "wemo" in the field and tap the Search icon.
Step 6: Tap on Wemo by Belkin International.
Step 7: You will be taken to the details screen. Tap on the ENABLE button.
Step 8: Tap on Ready To Verify to begin the process.
Step 9: You will then be given 2 minutes to toggle one of your Wemo devices so that the Alexa App can locate it.
Step 10: When found, tap on Yes, that’s me.
- If the Wemo App does not detect the Wemo you toggled after a few minutes, it will let you know. Tap on Give Me More Time to continue waiting and toggle the Wemo device again. You may need to toggle it more than once.
- If you asked for more time and it still isn’t finding your device, you will need to enter in the name of your Wi-Fi and the MAC address of one of your Wemo devices. You can find the MAC address at the back of your Wemo device or on the Settings & About > Hardware Info section of your Wemo App.
Step 11: Once linked, you will see the success screen. If you have notifications turned ON for your Wemo App, a notification will be sent to your phone or tablet. Tap the x on the upper right corner to return to your Alexa App main interface.
Step 12: After the Wemo Skill is enabled, you will receive a message on Alexa to DISCOVER DEVICES.
Once you enable the Wemo Skill, you will need to add your Wemo devices to the Alexa App before you can control them with voice commands. Click here for more information about what you can say to your Wemo devices. Click here for more information creating Groups with Alexa.
If your Wemo device is not detected while linking to Alexa, click here for troubleshooting steps.
Ways of dimming and turning ON/OFF a bulb using the Wemo® Dimmer
How to change the Wemo device's name and icon in the Wemo App
Was this support article useful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Please tell us how we can make this article useful.