Everything you need to
know about Thunderbolt™
and Thunderbolt 3
Thunderbolt™ technology, created by Intel®, steps up USB port technology by supporting both high‐speed data and video. Harnessing Thunderbolt technology through a USB-C port created in partnership with USB-IF, Thunderbolt 3 is the fastest port available. It connects Thunderbolt devices, all HD and 4K displays, and billions of USB devices using one compact, reversible plug—transferring 4x the data and 2x the video bandwidth of any other cable.2
HISTORY OF THUNDERBOLT
- USB 1.0 consolidates and simplifies low‐speed data ports.
- USB 2.0 increases data speed (480 Mbps).
- USB 3.0 increases data speed (5 Gbps).
- Thunderbolt consolidates and simplifies high-speed data and video ports (10 Gbps). Notebooks featuring Mini DisplayPort are announced.
- Thunderbolt 2 increases data and video speed (20 Gbps). USB 3.1 increases data speed (10 Gbps). More devices featuring Mini DisplayPort are announced.
- Type-C (USB-C) connector introduces a new small, reversible connector.
- Thunderbolt 3 brings Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 (10 Gbps) to USB-C (40 Gbps).
The increasing mobility of the workforce coupled with the decreasing size of devices created a challenge within the tech sphere: How to support desktop speeds and applications—on mobile devices. Thunderbolt was developed as a solution to this challenge. Up to 8x faster than USB 3.0, Thunderbolt 3 technology supports the fastest data and most video bandwidth on a single cable.
1. Ethernet 2. Firewire 3. Thunderbolt 2
4. DisplayPort™ 5. HDMI® 6. USB-C 7. USB-A
Thunderbolt, DisplayPort, PCI Express, and USB
Up to 40 Gbps file transfer rate
Supports dual 4K 60Hz displays
Up to 85W power delivery
- Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock HD only.
- Second display must be Thunderbolt enabled.